SailNet Community - View Single Post - Painting aluminum
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009

mepsnbarry is on a distinguished road
Titanium screws do sound like an interesting idea here, but they probably won't help corrosion as much as you think.

I just checked a galvanic series chart, and found that they are slightly worse than stainless in this regard--they are above stainless on the chart, or in other words, FARTHER from aluminum on the chart.

It is possible that the corrosion that forms between aluminum and titanium is less of a problem than the stuff that makes such a mess out of aluminum with stainless fasteners, but I wouldn't even count on that--I believe it is the less noble metal (aluminum) which corrodes, so I expect it will form the same oxides.

Perhaps Ti are strong enough to unscrew rather than shearing off like SS bolts do though?

If anybody has seen what Ti fasteners in Al look like after 10 years in a salty environment, let us know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- limericks, essays, and photos by Meps 'n' Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- recipes for cooks at sea and on land
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook