SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Catamarans Offshore
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005

thorJ30 is on a distinguished road
Cruising Catamarans Offshore

yes i can
you take as example racing cats, 3 of them who capsized.. without any sails on them ???? who in the right mind would sail without ANY sails ..anyway.

than the story of the english fellow in a cat. with centerboards halfways down ... in a real blow you do not have the CB down as you cannot slip down the side of the waves, but dig in, the wave crest flipped them over.... Anyhow there are a lot of cats out there and I dont hear a lot of them capsizing .....

have you looked at an Iroquois ? That british design is way old and certainly not what the original poster would consider.

Usually modern Cruisng cats are super safe, and being faster than monohulls they can take advantage of smaller weather windows and make safer long trips.

Of course some idiots will be able to do almost anything and even capsize a catamarane, you wrote that nobody else was going out.

Your examples go back atil 02 ( racing cats ) how many mono hulls have sunk in the last 3 years ? And how many of the unfortunate sailors on them did not have the chance to get picked up on the upside down but floating hull ?

I stay to my word that multis are safe.

Thorsten
wo sails a monohull...lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook