SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Generators
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 04-22-2009
mbradl

Gasoline Generators

Here are some points on my experience with small generators (owned Honda 1000 from 97 -2007 and have been enjoying Honda 2000 since)

- Run them completely out of gas before storing below - decks - you may have to do some plumbing modifications if some gasoline remains in tank that cannot be drained by opening carburetor bleed screw

-I am currently using a coiled-up shore power cord (standard plug) for plug in and because of large gauge wire and 2000 watt generator I seem to be doing okay...had a short combo cord on my last boat for the Honda 1000

-consider the Honda 2000, it isn't much bigger than the 1000 and runs for around 8 hours on economy - it is much more difficult to trip than the old 1000 (when initial battery charging done you can run vacuum etc without disconnecting loads) and one guy was running a 5000 btu ac off his last summer

-I don't know anything about the honeywell but several boaters I know like the Honda - after owning different sets from yamaha, coleman etc,
the big thing I keep hearing is noise, we also thought paying a little more for a quality generator might make sense since we would primarily be using it in a marine environment (have heard that some bargain sets go bad after corrosion issues)

Good Luck,
Mark
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome