SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sacrilege - Somebody's Gotta Do It
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - now we're getting somewhere. It sounds like tradition, arcane and overly complex rules, and expense is killing the sport. So let's do this - let's take out the "middle". In other words, nuke all the club sailing - which is actually the most boring stuff to watch for a typical spectator anyway. Hell, let's even nuke the AC. And let's figure out what "extreme sailing" looks like.

Let's compare it to mountain climbing. "Beyond the Limit" is a pretty successful television show. It's about climbers tackling Everest. And it's pretty freakin' gripping. Now think about all the logistical issues with making a show like that. Could it possibly be any more difficult than covering an extreme sailing event?

So - what makes "Beyond the Limit" so appealing then? The life and death nature of it? The skill level of the participants? The personal stories? The fear factor?

My point is that EXTREME sailing events like the Vendee or VOR are very similar to an Everest expedition. The story is just not being told very well in my opinion.

So here's the next question - are the Vendee/VOR events extreme enough? Would they have to up the danger ante to make them more appealing? Or does a new race - that's just completely insane - need to happen - something that's the equivalent of summitting Everest.
What is club racing afterall? I know I have abit more knowledge than you when it comes to racing in general. ODs have their own boundaries when even playing PHRF - but at least they have what is relatively a level playing field.

To put in perceptive, one of the series I participated in - running aground and all that crap, still beat out a boat that had their boom snapped in two. One could argue a whole bunch of things but the fact is to so dissimilar boats being so close to the last end of the ranking would matter?

Smack - love ya as a blow up doll but this strikes new highs for you. More carnage and what more catastrophes? Vendee is a hell of alot different from the around the lake races. They have real sponsors and stuff and they are actually doing what cruisers would do if they had the balls and insensitivity to their insurance premiums.

Fact is, yacht club membership is at a premium, frankly those that continue a membership - one rarely race anyways. You get the buzz - excite it for new people..

Guess what - carnage on a non-sponsored gig is end of boating - end of story.

FYI - and i have the receipts. To get going with a C-27, full on kevlar X-10 (now yester year) 6 k for 150 jib and battened main.. for what a 10 second response time? Hence why I never notified you I have those sails for you boat..

Seriously, lack of sailing interest is three fold:

1. Yacht clubs thinking it is dued to them and thus you should buy the frills and whistles.

2. Those that know better but still show up...pay a bit extra

3. Those you do NOT, about because it would raise questions,,

Fact is, racing like Whidbey Island as an another suggested - are in thousands of dollars to play - most whom spend it have boats equal to 1.20th of their re-sale value...

Human nature to play or pure idiotic tendancy?

We all sail for dreams that only we know... for some just doing is priceless - the rest of us blog........

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook