SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sacrilege - Somebody's Gotta Do It
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009

39512 is on a distinguished road
When I was a kid, I saw a photograph of Nina reaching in a big breeze and I knew I wanted to do that someday. I think US Sailing should get a couple of billboards and put up 49er or Laser photos, people who look like they are having fun. You know, the bow on shots that look like the boat is getting ready to launch itself. Get people to consider the sport. Park St. subway station in Boston has Puma stuff hanging up everywhere. People stop and look. They recognize something familiar, the puma logo, and that this sailing stuff sure looks like a sport.

Around Mass Bay, the races that draw the most participation are pursuit races. Everything from PHRF ratings -9 to 170. You get to see a little of everything and it is far less intense. No crowded mark roundings, no heavy tactical requirement, usually a reaching leg. Everybody seems to be having fun, sometimes with alot of beer. The Figawi and the Flip Flop are very well attended by cruisers and racers.

I think someone needs to write a screenplay with sex, drugs, rock and roll, and boats. Like a Tarantino remake of Wind. Without the womper.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook