SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ground Wire Fault Problem
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009

mgorrell is on a distinguished road
Ground Wire Fault Problem

Prior to pulling my IP465 out of the water this past Fall, the AC electrical system seemed to be operating fine. The boat was stored inside over the winter and the batteries somehow became almost totally drained . They battery monitor needed the be reset. I had the zincs on the hull replaced. I had the marina charge the batteries before entering the water. Those are the only changes to the boat over the winter. Once in the water this Spring, they hooked up the shore power cord and immediately, got a ground wire fault on the alarm. All the GFCI breakers and outlets on the boat tripped. There seems to be no problem related to the galvanic isolator and reverse polarity. The shorepower is charging the batteries but once I put any electrical load on the AC circuit, the AC shorepower breaker trips. Everything operates normally under generator power and GFCI circuits can be reset and outlets used. I have had experienced marine electricians check the cuircuits for hours. They can not determine the problem. The dockside electricity has been checked and found ok. The shore power cords check out fine. All GFCI breakers and shore power breakers and connectors check ok. All indications would be a nuetral or ground wire short but we can't find it. Any suggestions on where to look for the problem would be appreciated.

Mark

IP 465-02 "At Last"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook