SailNet Community - View Single Post - WESTSAIL 32 and similar
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005

wanna_sail is on a distinguished road
WESTSAIL 32 and similar

Hi,

I am new to boat ownership. Sailed a bit with other people and on rentals. It is time to buy. I will be taking the ASA 101-104 courses at my leisure, then do some coastal cruising to get some real experience.

I am looking for a boat my wife & I can live on and we want something comfortable & built like a tank. The boat will be used for coastal cruising for the first year or until I feel comfortable to go somewhere off shore; then who knows, maybe a circumnavigation! I want a boat that is capable of doing that should we decide. Racing is not in my plan so speed is not a major factor; I have lots of time to get there.

I am 45 and physically fit, she is less than 45 (how’s that for staying out of trouble) and also physically fit. I am thinking of buying a Westsail 32. They range in price from about $35,000 – $70,000. My budget is about 40-50K depending how the boat is equipped so the Westsail fits that criteria along with many others I have like safety and the ability to solo sail.

What are your opinions of the WESTSAIL ?

In that price range and with these requirements can you recommend any other type of boat ?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook