SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to Choose?
Thread: What to Choose?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009

farfromsane is on a distinguished road
What to Choose?

Hi,
I am new to the sailing/ living aboard thing and I am looking for advice. I have no clue as to what I am doing, so naturally I have probably started at the wrong step by looking at boats and already picking a favorite.

The Plan: three years from now, starting on the Gulf coast of Florida (of course plans change, but this is today’s plan)
I want a boat that will last me 20+ years (I hope I will love this lifestyle that long at least).
I need a boat big enough for two guys 6’4” to live. We are not a couple, so it needs to have two fair sized beds/cabins.
It needs to be small enough, that after by buddy gets tired of sailing (if he does), or we get tired of each other, I can handle the boat myself while look for a new ship mate, or not.
I plan to cruise the coasts and Caribbean islands, but don’t want to preclude a trans Atlantic, or a jaunt to Hawaii once I have a few years experience if I feel bold enough.

Hopefully that is enough info to get started. A boat that has already caught my eye is the Hunter 410. Does anyone live on, or know anyone who is? Does someone have a better recommendation for a $100-125K budget.
Thank,
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook