SailNet Community - View Single Post - Appropriate fee to crew
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009
sv Mary T Pearson P35

sailingmum is on a distinguished road
Cool I'd be wary !

Many of the crew sites have these offers like the one you outlined or shared costs of some sort. There is the double dipping but all that aside the main question is 'who are you setting off across the ocean with ? What are his credentials, experience, references ? You're putting your life in this Captain's hands and you want to be damn sure this is a qualified Captain with an attitude of safety and a well equipped vessel for a crossing, especially in the waters of Scotland...brrrrrrrr.
TO me that is the most difficult to assess without getting references from others who have crewed with this Captain.
OPO is a great outfit, though I haven't used them personally.
Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Johnb, you are not crewing, you are not sharing expenses, you are paying tuition and if the skipper isn't running a "business" of training...the only question is whether he can get folks who are happy to pay his "tuition" fee.

If you could book similar passage with some recognized sailing school and come out of it with some type of credential, it might not be unreasonable. But to simply share a ride...some owners might at the most ask you to pay a share for food, fuel, dockage, etc. but many would be looking for crew and would take competent crew along at no charge at all.

Whatever all parties are happy with--is deemed fair. Common or otherwise.
2013 Summer Deale MD Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook