SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please....at least use some KY!
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Think...It's Patriotic!

Went to the little marine/hardware store that was selling the seat for $20.00 (see picture). I asked the owner how he was selling it for that price, when everyone else was $60 to $80. He said that due to his Ace affiliation he was able to go directly to the manufacturer. So, the manufacture is the same that manufactures the larger household seats (of course). I told him about this post and the "economy of scale" theory. He smiled and said; "$20 is twice the amount you would pay for the larger house hold seat. That's plenty of mark up to account for economy of scale!" Even if you through in a middle man who makes $10.00 on the deal, that brings the retail cost to $30. What an honest guy, though spelling is apparently not his strength ("origionl"! This is a relatively small store with relatively small volume (I assume) and most of his marine stuff is considerably less expensive than I've seen it elsewhere. Wish he was closer to my boat! Anyway, my point is; face it boat owners, you are getting screwed! It's not going to change unless we revolt in mass But at least realize it, and stop making excuses for greedy retailers like; "obviously, it's due to economy of scale"! Obviously, most of the outrageous mark up is due to greed and people who will pay it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0424091117a.jpg (34.8 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook