SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bilge pump running but not pumping.
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
Bilge pump running but not pumping.

Got down to the boat today (Catalina 350). When I got down into the cabin, the bilge pump was running. The boat doesn't leak much, but we've had a lot of heavy rain lately. I looked in the bilge, there was few inches of water, but as the pump ran, it wasn't going down. I felt the pump (Jabsco 1950), and it was quite hot, so I'm thinking it had been running for LONG time.

I took the pump out and looked at it, everything seemed okay as far as I can tell. The pump definitely is turning, but for some reason it's not pumping the water out. The only possibility I can think of is that there's some sort of obstruction in the line, but I have no idea what it could be our how it would get there. It really couldn't get in through the pump end, as there's a primative strainer thing on the base of the pump. Conceiveably, there could be a bird/wasp/monkey nest in the bilge pump outlet, but it would have to be WAY into the boat, because the electric bilge pump line joins the manual bilge pump line about 15 inches or so into the boat, and the manual pump works fine. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook