SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking instruction
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
Au contraire, mes amis!

I owned a 35' Mainship with twin engines for a few years. By playing one engine off against the other I could move that boat around anyway I wanted to, in just about any conditions.

Fast forward a few years and I now own a Hunter 30.

Anyone who tells you that docking a sailboat is as easy as a twin-screwed power boat is blowing smoke at you. Your memories of "panic" time when you docked your old boat are there for a reason. Docking a sailboat requires a lot more concentration and preparation because when things start to go wrong, you're generally screwed. You can't just back up and try again. (I can't speak for other sailboats, but I will tell you that my Hunter does not like backing up one bit) So, I've got to get it right the first time.

This being said, successful docking is just another part of the learning process. Once you become familiar with using your bow thruster you will find that it makes your life a lot easier and will quickly boost your docking ability and confidence. You'll learn from your mistakes just like all the rest of us do and the more practice you get, the better you'll become.

Best wishes with your new boat! You've bought a beauty!

Last edited by AlanBrown; 04-27-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: syntax error
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook