SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsheet sizing/load
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguley3 View Post
My mainsheet currently uses a dock cleat to secure it. It seems kind of scary to me to use something like that for a sheet so I am looking at replacing it with a rope clutch. I will need to move the winch and possibly the sheave. Also planning to move the main halyard back to a second clutch so its not on the mast. I have a pretty good plan for doing all of that.
You should be using a cam cleat, clam cleat or something similar for a main sheet. A rope clutch doesn't always release under load, nor does it release anywhere near fast enough to be safe on a mainsheet.

Quote:
I am wondering about the size of line for the mainsheet? I have looked for some kind of sizing chart but they are all based on boat size which seems like you would end up with a line that may be off. My traveler is about in the middle of the boom so I am guessing the boom will be generating more leverage on the sheet than if it was toward the end of the boom. Or is it just a rule of thumb and if the sheet breaks you get a stronger line next time? I was just going to replace the line with a similer diameter but I had Mack sails out to replace my main halyard and they said it was oversized(was 7/16 replaced with 3/8) and replaced it with a smaller diameter line. The larger line is easier to hold onto but harder to keep tidy. Always a trade off but I would rather only have to buy the rope clutch once. The current mainsheet is 1/2 inch.

If I could replace the 1/2 inch mainsheet with 3/8 or 7/16 then I can get a single double clutch. 7/16 can get up to 6100 lbs in strength while 1/2 inch is 8700 lbs. The current line on the mainsheet is very old and has not broken yet. I don't know what kind it is but it is ready to be retired.

Anyway long post for a simple question about how strong of line I need for a 30' sailboats mainsheet.
Depends on the amount of purchase/leverage your mainsheet gives you as well as what line you're using. On a 30' boat, a 1/2" polyester double braid is quite common... but if you go up to a spectra or dyneema based line, you might be able to drop down to a 3/8" or 7/16" line. One advantage of a smaller line is that they generally run out with less friction—smalller diameter==> less friction. One disadvantage is that they're harder on your hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook