SailNet Community - View Single Post - What guage do I use
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Running wire that is slightly oversized is actually a good idea, if you can afford to do it. It will help protect the boat in case of a short, since the wire will be less likely to heat up and cause a fire before the fuse blows or circuit breaker trips. It also can give you expansion capability for future use. I generally recommend running wire that is at least one size, if not two, larger than what the circuit or equipment requires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyboy18 View Post
So I saw this post, and while I am referencing Don Casey's Sailboat Electrics Simplified, I still have this question: Can I have a wire that is "too big"? And I don't mean a 2 gauge(AWG) wire for a 25 watt light, but if I bought a 12 gauge wire to run my electronics (which include VHF, knot meter, cabin lights, small cabin fan, steaming light, running lights, bilge pump...and I think that is it actually), would that be a big enough gauge. And I also mean that they will be on separate circuits. Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook