SailNet Community - View Single Post - I need trailer sailer advice
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009

jonfreeman is on a distinguished road
I have owned a West Wight Potter 19 and a Catalina 22. Both were LOTS of fun, but the C-22 was s much better performer than the Potter. However, it was also harder to set up and launch, everything being larger, and farther from the ground on the trailer.

Additionally, parts and accessories were generally less expensive on the Potter, as the size of all the components was smaller. Sails, blocks, cables, fittings, you name it, cost is closely related to size of the boat. I really enjoyed both boats for different reasons. The Potter for the camaraderie of the enthusiastic owner groups. The Catalina 22 for it's sailing and accomodations.

I made it all the way up to a Catalina 350, and am back down to a 310. Even these two are a class apart in size and cost.

Having said all that, I would also suggest you look at the Montgomery 17. I ALMOST got one (used ones go fast, but I was on the hunt), when I thought my wife was done with sailing. I will likely have one of these when I retire, as I expect she will precede me to landlubber status. They are by ALL reports a good sailor, stable, comfortable, and well built. They are light and easily trailered, and enjoy a happy and loyal (and vocal) following.

Check 'em out at Montgomery Sailboats Owners Group and Nor'Sea Yachts builders of the Nor'sea27, 37 and Montgomery 15 and 17
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook