SailNet Community - View Single Post - Endeavour 32 1980 - good or bad?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009

Endurance32 is on a distinguished road
'82 Endeavour 32'

When you are looking at the Endeavour 32's look for a '79 or newer. The interiors are much nicer IMO than the earlier models. The later models were modified by Bob Johnson, the improvements are reworked coach roof, SOLID teak sole and a better hanging locker. There are other little improvements but these are the most noticable. The later boats also came with a more powerful engine. Mine has the Yanmar 3GM & 22 HP. This is a great engine for this boat, any smaller and you will have a hard time in rough seas.

What to look for, leaking around the ports. My ports were leaking and I had to replace all the teak on the inside of the coach house. This was not expensive maybe about $200.00 and wasn't difficult. What was not fun was cleaning the old chalk off the ports. I ended up replacing all the 5x12's with ABI bronze ports now I need to do the 7x14's. This was easy buy expensive, but it sure looks nice. If your on a tight budget you can replace all the gaskets and lenses on your beckson ports for around $350.00. The ports are the biggest weak link on this boat, but if you look most boats from this era have plastic beckson ports.

The prop walking on the E 32 is an issue to some, I replaced the fixed 2 blade the moment I bought my boat with a Kiwi feathering prop. Mine still prop walks but seeing that I never used the fixed prop I can't say that it improved this problem or not. The issue here is the extreme angle of the prop shaft. There is nothing you can do about it. In time you will use this to your advantage (propwalk), to me its a non-issue.

All in all, I think the Endeavour 32 is the best value in a 32 foot cruiser. Its not slow, it stand up well in a blow and if it gets nasty it doesn't pound. IMO it has a nice classic look to it that will look good for a long time to come. I've done a lot of upgrades to my boat over the past 3 seasons. If you get this boat let me know and I'll help you the best I can with any issues you may run into. The one thing I suggest is get a boat with the 3GM engine or Universal 3 cyclinder, and the shoal draft, if it cost a bit more its money well spent!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 009.jpg (76.5 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (51.1 KB, 297 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook