SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to put (and keep) a boat in Boston?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009

llunved is on a distinguished road
Where to put (and keep) a boat in Boston?

I am about to buy a used sailboat and the next milestone other than deciding which of the candidates (all 27-32 foot) I like most, is to find a place to keep it.

Before I go off and call every marina in the Boston area or fill in forms with the city, I'd like to try getting some best practice ;-). It would be great if someone in this forum would share his or her experience.

I live in the northern Somerville / Medford area close to 93, so Boston harbor seems to be the most convenient place as I can get there in 10 - 15 minutes by car and even take a bike in the summer.

The options I see so far are:
a) a slip at one of the marinas
b) a mooring in the harbor
c) a marina with a mooring
d) yacht club
e) some other harbor

Option a) seems to be straight forward, as sufficient slips seem to be available. The obvious downside is that one year at the slip will cost about 50% of what I am paying for the used boat. Or in other words: $$$$. If I go for that option, the Admirals Hill Marina seems to be a good choice and perhaps Chrystal Cove in Winthrop?

Option b) sounds simple enough - unless there is some hidden complication (anyone here with experience in getting a mooring in boston harbor?).
The obvious problem is how to get to the boat. I have not been able to find much information about a launch service yet, or any marina that would offer a cheap place to put a dinghy. I don't suppose, that the water taxis will actually stop at you boat ;-)

Also keeping the dinghy at home and trailering it to the water is not ideal as I don't have a trailer and public ramps are scarce. There is a nice one in Medford but that would mean running down the Mystic river every time. That will take a looong time. If the Mystic river would be an option I might ask one of the houses that have private docks up in the Winthrop Street area in Medford if I can keep it there ;-)

Now c) comes to mind as a good compromise. But which Marina does actually offer that? And what do they charge? I found some that seem to have it, but they never list the charges - the websites always only have the slip costs.

Option d) seems to mean a long wait.

Finally, e): Quincy bay sounds like a place with interesting options. Of course the same questions apply. Anyone experience there? Lynn to Salem seems to be pretty costly as well?

Thanks for any hint!

Daniel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook