SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this a real Hinckley?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009

arja is on a distinguished road
An OC is not a Hinckley

Hinckleys come in Pilots (35 ft), Bermuda 40, Southwest 42, a 43 with more competitve design, 49, Southwest 50-51 and 52 plus a 59, now up to 70: all in fiberglass and built with handcrafted wood interiors in ash, mahogany and cherry wood with substantial exterior teak and Hinckley designed and manufactured stainless steel rigging,etc.

As a 20 year owner of a 1967 B-40 aft cabin, they are stable, solid, reliable and great to go to into any weather. A Hinckley is not a clorox bottle, but a finely made yacht, classically pleasing to the eye when maintained. The OC is not a Hinckley since it was not built by The Hinckley Company in Southwest Harbor, Maine. I believe it is correct that a member of the Hinckley family departed from the Family Business and created the OC with the benefit of clear knowledge of his Family's accomplsihments.

With Picnic boats, Talarias and other power boats now an major part of The Hinckley Company line, Pilots and B-40s are no longer made. And the family company was corporately purchased maybe 10 years ago and still retains its excellent customer support to Hinckley owners with locations beyond Maine in Rhode ialnd, Annapolis, and South Florida, maybe other locations as well.

I have called The Hinckley Company over the years with questions about this and that. And found friendly and professional support available to support my now 42 year old yacht. They even still have a copy of her drawings as one of 5 aft cabin yawls.

So even though an OC was created by a member of the Hinckley family, in buying a Hinckley, one can get substantial knowledge and support for one of their yachts from the home office. I dare say, you may wish to check out what support OC provides. I speculate not much.

Hinckleys are much more than a pretty boat, they are well found, well designed and when maintained, an incredibly safe yacht in any weather.
So if you like the OC, just make sure you and your broker are not confusing an OC for a Hinckley, or you may well pay too much.

And there was a 30' wooden sloop that preceded the innovation into fiberglass by The Hinckley Company prior to the mid-50's. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook