SailNet Community - View Single Post - A green sailor!
Thread: A green sailor!
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-01-2009 Thread Starter
Wink A green sailor!

Hello everyone,
First off, Iíve been patrolling these forums for quite a while now and have obtained some very useful info, Thanks!
Ok, down to it. Iíll extend my knowledge of sailing to ďI was on one ONCE when I was around 6 years old for about 2 hours.Ē yet I will say Iím quite seaworthy. Iíve always owned boats. Spent nearly my entire young life ďDown the RiverĒ at a family camp, and would do anything to have that or something comparable again. But to sailing: Iím hopelessly green. My job takes me all over the country (predominately gulf coast) for about 6 months out of the year during storm season (enough thought and youíll probably figure out what I do.) Due to this, Iíve remained relatively single and never purchased a home. I have never felt the desire to deal with maintenance while away and would rather rent everywhere I go. Also due to this, I am used to living in confined spaces, keeping a low amount of personal property, and have little invested in ďstuffĒ.
Reasons why Iíve decided living aboard might be an excellent next step:
-I absolutely love being on the water and miss it dearly
-I do not own a home
-I am 25 years old, unmarried with no kids.
-The likelihood of me being able to use my boat as a portable home along the gulf coast while working is a wonderfully novel idea
-Lower cost than maintaining a home year round (?) (maintenance, slip fees, insurance..Etc.)
Main questions:
Suggestion on size boat?
Iíve looked at everything from 26-50 ft boats and Iím thinking somewhere in the 30-34 ft range should be adequate for my needs. Would a 34 ft boat be too much to handle as a 1 man crew? Will likely be used mostly for gulf activity. Possibly Florida/Atlantic and even east coast way down the road. (I mean after years of experience, of course ) She will likely be docked on the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana.
My price range will be in the 15k-20k range. Iím afraid to go much further over that just from a lost investment stand point. (Keep in mind Iíll also be able to invest a lot of time and addtíl funds if necessary) Iíve read a lot about good deals on older boats and I believe that is the route I should take.
Good idea?
You can be brutally honest here. If you think I should just run the other direction, say it. Iíll take every comment into consideration. Anything that someone with so little experience NEEDS to know before shooting for a pipedream. Keep in mind, I will be taking sailing lessons and that will be the final deciding factor for me I believe. Iím not so naive to think Iíll just go buy a boat and be zipping across the Atlantic next week.
Please, I know that is a lot to ask but I would appreciate any eggs of knowledge you guys can throw at me.

First post,
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome