SailNet Community - View Single Post - Removing steering wheel
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Removing steering wheel

Anyone with advice on removing my steering wheel? It is obviously a friction fit with a key that is held in place by a little set screw of some sort. No typical nut holding the wheel on. The set screw is a hollow thing that does not match up with any of my allen wrenches. It seems to have an allen like shape, but none of them fits in it. I've got a full range of small allens, and none of them fit. Before I go pounding one of them down into the hole and maybe stripping the thing, I need help.

I've been looking online for a manual on wheels like this to see what sort of set screw it is and what sort of tool is needed to remove it. No luck so far.

I'm really hoping someone out there has a wheel like this and can tell me what sort of tool to use to remove this set screw. I've got it soaking in PB Blaster in the meantime and sure as heck don't want to strip it or screw it up because I can just see that leading to having to drill it out and replace the whole darn steering wheel. Not an option.

Thanks in advance.

Photobucket

Set screw on steering wheel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bwindrope; 05-02-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook