SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat help...
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
First boat help...

I am a die hard Catalina Man I had a 30 which was roomy and sailed very good and was easy on the eyes. I lived aboard for two years until my X talked me into living ashore and I let my boat slip away. Now I have another and another sailing girl who needs no picket fence. So back to the boats Catalina 30ies are not to expensive to buy or maintain a bit spartan which is good you will see how hard it is to keep up with just a little teak. The interiors are oiled unless the last owner varnished it so it is just wipe it with Amazon''s teak oil and she shines for a while. The older boats have the plad cushions ugly as a bogs butt but they are tough and last twenty years. They all leak and you will need to do the recalking of the windows and cap rails hatches and hardware dont skimp here do it right no matter what you buy. A dry boat is good very good but takes some work. Catalina built the boats to go to sea so making crossings to the Virgins and ven further are not a problem as long as you plan ahead. Allot of them have Atomic 4 gas motors they are allot cheeper to buy but don''t be fooled the Atomic has a following and it is a great motor that you can fix because it is so simple your text book this is a four cycle engine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook