SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time sail boat buyer
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2001
JeffH

First time sail boat buyer

The Endeavor 32 began life as a Irwin 32. The Irwins had centerboards and so sailed much better than the shoal keeled Endeavours. I understand that here was also a change from a higher density ballast to a lower density meaning that the Endeavour has less stablity than the Irwin as well.

The shoal draft of the Endeavour 32 is convenient on the Chesapeake but these are not very good light or heavy air boats and so are at a real disadvantage on the Bay. The Bay really rewards boats with light air performance with a lot more sailing days and a lot fewer motoring days.

Members of my family have had two Endeavours over the years (a 37 and 40). Both had a range of build quality problems. 1977 was also the beginning of the period during which blister problems were most prevelent, although I have not specifically heard of problems in the Endeavour 32.

Then there are the usual old boat suspects; such as old sails, tired engines and upholstery, electrical components, standing and running rigging that is past its useful lifespan, deck delamination, chainplate attachment problems, out of date and warn out electronics,deck hardware and galley gear. A thorough survey and war chest is in order.

Good luck
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook