SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Island Sound first boat insights?
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 05-04-2009
nk235

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Well

I have found i could not afford the bargains

I have become really good friends with the guy who took a pass on my current J24 to buy a J24 in Ct that was 3000 dollars less

I have to tell you the bargain J24 he got has every J24 wart i can think of right down to the Vermiculite keel sump and old style leaking hatches

SO You really have to know what your getting yourself into because based on my search and the one we have done this season for a friend looking for the same boat as you

10k is going to be outboard powered Or have a really sad inboard we did not find any FWC diesel powered boats for under 20K

True - A diesel powered (usually over 27) has a lot more systems and usually costs more money in general as many of them have an actual head, electric water pumps, bigger batteries, and just many more systems in general. However you can find many outboard powered boats in the 25' range for way under $10k and in good shape. As I stated in my previous post my first boat was a 1984 25' Mark 25 (similar to a C&C25). I purchased it from the previous owner for $7500 and it was in immaculate shape. In fact when I owned it many people thought it was only a year or two old. You can also find many boats of the same vintage in great condition for around this price or even cheaper. However once you start moving up in size to a boat with an inboard diesel and more systems it's a whole different animal and for a good quality boat you are going to be spending more.

Morgan 323
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome