SailNet Community - View Single Post - NYC Navigation
Thread: NYC Navigation
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
NYC Navigation

Hello,

At the end of June, probably Friday, June 26, I plan on sailing my boat from my home port of Mt. Sinai NY (just east of Port Jeff) through the Long Island Sound, down the East River, around the Statue of Liberty, then up the Hudson to the 79 street Boat basin.

My proposed itinerary:
Day 1: Sail from Mt. Sinai to somewhere in Port Washington (around 35 nm). Spend the night in Port Washington
Day 2: Sail from Port Washington down the East River, around the Battery, then up the Hudson to the 79st boat basin (around 25 nm).
Day 3-4, hang out in NYC
day 5 - ? return home.

I have some questions:
-Timing the east river (hell's gate). According to my Eldridge book I want to arrive at Hell's Gate at least 2 hours after high water at the battery. Is this correct? It's around 13 nm from Port Washington to Hell Gate, so if I left 1 hour or so BEFORE high water I should arrive at the right time, right?

-Navigating the East River: Are there any restrictions regarding Roosevelt Island? Where can I get the latest information? The charts don't have any special information.

-Marina's: I'm looking for a place that is convenient to Manhattan. Is there anything wrong with the 79th St. Boat Basin? My boat has shoal draft of less than 4.5' Is there anything better?

Anything else?

Thanks!
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook