SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for a chain scrubbing brush
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
Hi, that item does sound like a useful thing to have aboard. How does it connect to the boat hook? Does it connect to the type of boathook system that uses a pole with a spring loaded button on the end? Ya know, the type that can take several different attachments or can this device attach to any type of boat hook? I mean, can it attach to a dedicated boat hook where the hook part is permanently connected to the pole? If so, how ?
This device you speak of got me to thinking of how one could be easily fabricated and I thought perhaps the old style toilet bowl brush might work for cleaning chain. Ya know, the type which has a heavy metal wire intertwined with bristles and is bent into a loop with the ends affixed to a handle. Perhaps this could either be bent to encircle the chain or alternatively, perhaps just making a cut in the wire so that the chain can be inserted inside the loop of the brush. Extending the handle should be fairly easy so that the brush can be extended far enough out down the chainto scrub off the mud from the chain before it comes aboard. Just a thought....what do you think? Could this work ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook