SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fixing a broken mast

View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-07-2009 Thread Starter
rlongfield

Fixing a broken mast

I hope someone can help out a buddy on mine. I just got an email from him about his mast being broken about 2 feet from the tip of the mast.
I don't know how it was done or what the resulting pieces look like now but I was hoping for some suggestions.
I have an Albacore with a broken mast that has been fixed in the past before I got it. It appears that there is an aluminum tube inside the mast and a plate or bent metal around the leading edge of the mast at the break. The plate extends about halfway around the mast and from the rivet holes I would say the sleeve extends a good 2 to 3 feet above and below the break.
I assume this is SOP for repairing a mast?

My mast was broken before it tapers so it seems like an easy fix, when the break is in the taper I have no idea on how to fix it.

Are there any concerns of using a repaired mast? My friend doesn't race the boat he just goes out for day sailing and weekending. (it's his fault I want a bigger boat!)

I (and my friend will certainly) appreciate any recommendations on repairing the mast.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome