SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best value furling
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Personally

Personally I find value is stuff that lasts, performs above average and the company stands behind it. There are more Harken dealers in this country than CDI and Alado have combined. If I need parts for a Harken, haven't needed them yet, I have seven plus stocking dealers in a 20 mile radius of Portland, ME. CDI dealers? Alado?

Take a look at the Alado site and check the price for a 36 footer. An Alado for a 36er is $1495.00 and a Harken Unit 1 is $1354.00 or $150.00 LESS. While you have a 33 footer the cut off for the next Alado model down is 32 feet. A Harken Unit 1 would be perfect on your boat.

John Harries, a sailor I know, and high latitude world cruiser has over 100,000 NM on his 16+ year old Harken furler. Show me even ONE CDI that has 100,000 NM on it. He has changed the bearings in it once in 100,000+ nautical miles that's it..

IMO there is just no comparison in quality between CDI, Alado and Harken. Harken is a far better built furler that actually reefs well due to the independent top and bottom swivel bearings.

I have personally had a CDI fail and on that boat I upgraded to a Furlex. I have also owned Pro-Furl, Schaefer, Hood, Harken & a Hyde Stream Stay too. The Pro-Frul, Schaefer, Furlex & Harken units I would buy again not so much for the others.

To answer your question I feel the Harken is the BEST value for more reasons than just price..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-07-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook