SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best value furling
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc33voodoo View Post
What does everyone else think about this?
like I said, the unit works flawless after servicing it last year.
I like to sail hard and the thought of failure is messing with my confidence in the boat.
I was in the same exact shoes you were. My new to me boat that I bought 2 years ago had the same Hyde Furler and I always heard that too that as long as you take care of it, it will last forever....Well 3 weeks ago on the first sail of the season in 5-10knts of wind the part that connects to the mast sheared off and the only thing that prevented the mast from coming down was the halyard. So in my opinion, replace it. I was lucky that it happened to me on a calm day. As of yesterday the rigger just finished installing a new Furlex furling unit as well as all new standing rigging. I am not saying anything bad about the Hyde unit as it has lasted 25 years BUT it is definetely not bullet proof or forever lasting like I have heard before. Just like everything else it goes over time.

In terms of new furlers, I was told by a number of people furlex was near the top of not one of the best so I went with that. Have only used it once so far but it seems good.