SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best value furling
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
After a day of calling around, internet research and speaking with friends, here are my thoughts....
From what 2 rigging shops told me the cdi units are not up to par with other units.I was told they wouldnt recommend these units on anything above 26 feet.
This is also comming from a local cdi service center/distributer.
Just as SD said they have had reported failures.preventing that is the whole reason for the upgrade.
I dont care about what practical sailor had to say, they would give good ratings to anything with an ad in their mag.
As for the alado I couldnt get much local feedback so thats probably a good sign to stay away.
Profurl,hood,furlex and shaeffer do not offer units in my price range.
I installed a harken on my last boat and never had any issues in the 6 years I had it and my father has had harken units on his boats for more than 25 years and said he has never had an issue/failure(but then again he gets 2 foot fever before they get old enough).
I like the mkIII or mkIV because of the double foil, which will come in handy if I decide to race in the next couple of years but the price is over $1000 more than the cruising unit which is otherwise perfect for my budget and the type of sailing we currently do.

Last edited by cnc33voodoo; 05-07-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook