SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Buying Process
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 01-29-2005
SailorMitch
Senior Moment

Boat Buying Process

Malcolm,

I think the most important point to remember about contracts and buying a boat is that you can word them anyway you want to protect yourself. Let the seller come back with a counter offer if he wants. There are a couple of "stock" contracts online but don''t think for a minute that you are limited to what they say. Also, if dealing through a broker, don''t let him/her talk you out of a clause you want based only on the statement that such a clause "is not part of a standard agreement." So what if it''s not? Let the seller counter with better language if he wants.

Remember, it''s all open for negotiation. I just went through this process 18 months ago, both buying and selling (private deals, no brokers). When I was the buyer, I modified the standard contract in several places, primarily gaving myself an out at any stage of the process for any reason with a full refund of my deposit. The seller never blinked at the language. When I was the seller, the buyer only made minor changes in the standard contract. Both transactions went off without a hitch. I would hesitate to include arbitrary percentages for price reductions for repairs before a survey, however. The survey could reveal deal breaker problems that could go far beyond the value of a set percentage reduction, and then you are in a real bind absent an escape clause elsewhere in the contract. Make sure you have an out.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome