SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Halman 27 or Nordica 30?

18K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  boatpoker 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm purchasing one of two boats and would like some advice on the pros and cons of each. The Halman is a fin keel with a skeg rudder and the Nordica is a full keel. I would like to know which is more seaworthy in large bodies of water and any tips on how the two boats handle. I would assume the Halman would be considerably faster, is that true?

Thanks for your help

Drew

#2 ·
The Halman's probably as fast as the Nordica, since they have about the same LWL, and the Halman's lighter, but the Nordica is probably the more seaworthy of the two.

#6 ·
With a good weather window, either of them would be able to make that trip... The Nordica is the more seaworthy of the two IMHO.

But, as Mimsy said, a lot of it depends on how skilled the captain and crew are. :)

#7 ·
Pack a lot of food and water :) ...although the Halman might have a 1/2 knot edge neither of those boats are anywhere near what would be considered quick. (...but they are both pretty safe bets as far as seaworthiness goes - I'd probably take the Nordica over the Halman).

#10 ·
The Catalina 30 is a lot beamier than either of the others, and as such will provide a lot more room below. It is also probably faster than the others. However, it is probably the least seaworthy of the three boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.