SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

columbia 36 interior pictures

15K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Mbath56 
#1 ·
Dose anyone have interior pics of columbia 36. I am restoring hull # 373 and looking for information. Thanks Ruth

#5 ·
Columbia 36 Interiors

Hi Sailwench,

I am restoring a '69 C 36 as well, and I have picked up a number of photos from all over the web for ideas, etc. I have them in a file, Let's see if I can post them here; no dice- File upload failed- sorry to other users, but I should be able to email them if you like. I am planning the remodel for this winter. Good luck!
Mike

#7 ·
Columbia 36

I am also refitting a columbia 36 -- I havent figured out how to post photos but I am planing on starting a blog to document my progress. I have awlgripped the hull and done a bottom job, re-powered with a 48 volt electric motor, replaced the standing rigging, rewired 12 volt and shore power, added air conditioning and hot water, replaced all the port lights as well as lexan for the large windows, replaced all the fixtures in the head and galley, and I must say the columbia 36 is one well built boat. She is a very comfortable little liveaboard and I am looking forward to putting many miles on her.

#9 ·
Passage making in a C36?

I'm looking at one today and would like opinions about this boat as an ocean voyager. IE construction, sea worthiness in all every condition, etc. Also, would you fellows say there is anything to be wary of or known weaknesses that might be costly or lead to dangerous conditions?

Thanks,
OS

#10 ·
Hi Oakland,
You must acknowledge that the "youngest" of the Columbia 36's are over 35 years old. Therefore the overall sea worthiness of any of them depends on how they've been maintained. There's not much on mine that hasn't been replaced, repaired or painted. Some things more than once.
The Crealock design is very sea kindly in open water and many of them have been solid passage makers when properly equipped. They were, however, designed primarily as a coastal cruiser/ CCA racer ( PHRF 156).
The Large coach roof ports tend to "craze" with age and sun exposure. I've replaced all the ports with opening ports for ventilation. Some folks switch to mid boom sheeting on the main to open up access in the aft cockpit.
There's no getting around the basic value of a solid hull 36' boat albeit with 60's and 70's technology for the prices at which they can be had.
Expect however to invest in refrigeration, diesel repower, standing and running rigging, painting topsides and hull, re upholstery and canvas.
If your base boat is less than 20K, with some sweat equity you can have a sound vessel that, properly fitted and crewed can go anywhere.

#15 ·
The wife and I just purchased a 1969 Columbia 36 that was completely redone in 2000. She has a new (50 hours) diesel in her and new paint (4/10) in top and bottom. A fairly immaculate boat. We only paid $15,900 for her. The market is WAY soft these days. We lost several thousand on the boat we sold to buy the 36.

There are deals out there on good boats, but you have to be patient and have the money ready. All and all the Columbia 36 is a really solid boat that you can have for a fair price.

#16 ·
C-36

I am working on restoring the interior of a C-36 right now. when I purchased her, most of the hard and expensive work had been done. New standing/running rigging, new sails, new wiring (both 12 and 110 volt), and a new fuel tank and Kubota 29 HP new motor, although I am having to rebuilt it. The previous owner had also put much effort into restoring the bottom, by encapsulating the hull with 2 new layers of fiberglass and 2 new layers of Kevlar, brought up to the water line and faired in. the rudder post was upgraded to a 3" post from the original 2", and the rudder was also kevlar coated. She had been sitting on the rock for 5+ yrs, and I now have her in the water. All interior wood that could be removed has been, and I am in the process of refinishing the wood, and painting the inside.

I pose a question, hopefully someone has some knowledge on this matter.

I have removed the bulkhead between the bathroom/chart room and the V-berth for painting and I like how it opens up the space. I would like to leave this bulkhead out, and replace it with posts. Has anyone done this themselves?

I am also thinking of enlarging the V-berth, by cutting down the closet space between the chart room and the V-berth, moving it to the other side, next to the other closet, in effect, making one large closet combining the two.

I have had the boat surveyed, and the only major issue is that the mast step is busted into several pieces, and I plan to retain it in place, until the next haul out. The only other thing that may need attention is the keel bolts. Although the keel has been encapsulated, for my own piece of mind, I am going to attempt changing the keel bolts.

The surveyor seemed quite certain that the keel was of cast iron, as the magnet he put to the bolts proved them to be of iron, and not stainless steel. Possibly others have input on this matter? If it is a cast iron keel, I will attempt to change one at a time, if it is lead keel, i will wait until she is hauled out again, and install some sister bolts. To determine if this keel is cast iron, I intend to dive on it with a good magnet once I acquire one. This keel is a shark fin keel.

I will post pictures when complete, but I have found that here are some videos on youtube (just search Columbia 36) showing upgrades to other C-36's

I am on the West coast of FL, and hope to be out sailing very soon.

Good luck to all, I hope to be active on this board.
Jeff

#18 ·
Tom I hope to have some pictures for you to see soon. I really haven't gotten as much done on it as I had hoped, and some of the priorities have changed.

I did find out that the keel is lead, I decided to put back in the bulkhead between the v-berth and bathroom, and I am now putting in hot water and plumbing as I am going to move aboard. I plan to have all led lights, I have purchased a marine AC unit, and started getting the parts together to add a propane system back in her also.

I am hoping to use a 5000 BTU AC unit, if anyone has any input on sizes of AC units for the Columbia 36 I sure would appreciate it. My plan is to add the AC unit under the seat that is adjacent to the bathroom bulkhead and run the duct-work up the bathroom wall and dump it both forward and back. I will be able to section off and only cool the front or the back of the boat if the AC unit struggles to keep up. I have added a shade tree awning I found on craigslist for a great deal, and that will shade a good portion of the main cabin.

I hope all is well with your project, I hope to report back sooner than this time.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.