SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fender covers - any use?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
As the former Awgrip trainer for the Maine State Marine Trades Center I am very tuned in to finish surfaces. My next finish demonstration idea is to put some sort of textured surface above the WL that has an artistic bent. Some kind of fresco with a marine theme that is non descript enough that it might be enhanced by minor damage. It is such a source of anxiety for boat owners to worry about surface imperfections in their finishes. There is no question that an Endeavor Blue Awlgrip finish is spectacular. To have a finish that requires you to worry about the abrasive qualities of the fenders you use to prevent abrasion is a bit much. I used to watch owners peer into the finish of their yacht and admire their reflections. I also used to teach Marine painting and Varnishing for WoodenBoat Magazine, and loved those owners who are so particular about their painted and varnished surfaces. I concluded that many boat owners are maintenance junkeys who have decided that boats will be their outlet. I am a fairly good painter. I actually like to varnish. I have a Marshall Sandpiper and its coaming and rails are Bristol. That is enough. My other sail boat has teak trim that is beautifully weathered to a silver that matches my hair. The hull is weathering white gel coat (the only color for boats) and the occasional impact that leaves a mark is no more than a marker from another adventure. I do use fenders to protect the boat and soften impact but worrying about covering them to avoid a sign of wear is not on my list of priorities.

Perhaps I am an Ausi, too?

Tundra Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook