SailNet Community - View Single Post - CPT Autopilot
Thread: CPT Autopilot
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2001

jack_patricia is on a distinguished road
CPT Autopilot

Lisa & Neil:

As of last night (6/13) the unit had not been looked at in the last 7-10 days.

SCANMAR''s niche is windvanes and they were clever (in a biz sense, at least) to pick up the CPT because so many of there customers, laying out $3-5K for a vane, mount, spares, etc., are pleading for a "motoring only" a/p (meaning one that doesn''t have to handle the boat in really stiff winds, high seas, etc.). Of course, folks find they often want to use an a/p in a wider set of conditions than they expect, windvane of not, os whatever is installed has to really be up to the challenge.

The CPT was originally invented in Orinda, CA (near the SF Bay area) quite some time ago. IMO it truly is a unique offering (unlike picking between Autohelm aka: Raytheon and Navico, now Simrad). The interim owner of the CPT biz would attend boat shows with his CPT operating gleefully while totally submerged; kinda clever and illustrating totally sealed circuit boards.

But the fly in the ointment appears to be the fact that SCANMAR didn''t beef up the bix to support the a/p segment they bought into; or at least that''s my tentative conclusion. It''s always frustrating when the biz owner can''t help you get his product working the way he represented it, so perhaps I should be less accepting. But the unit was a joy for us under most conditions (again, in part because we had a Sailomat vane to fall back on...) and so I want to allow them the time & patience to see just how much of a lemmon this thing is by design vs. due to a bad part or manufacturing defect (which can happen to anyone).

I''ll keep you posted...

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook