SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

looking for long term crew position

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  davidpm 
#1 ·
I am a 27 year old canadian guy, looking for a fairly long term position on a great boat.

I have quite a bit of experience on the water, from tugs to sailboats to fish boats.

I am clean cut, have a good sense of humor, I can fix almost anything on a boat, from nav equipment, to computers, to hydraulics and plumbing, to electrical.

I have a current MED A2 (Marine emergency duties) ticket as well as first aid, cpr, whimis etc. I am also a certified diver.

I have ran boats up to 86ft and am comfortable in all seas and weather, I am calm in an emergency situation.

Furthermore I'm a great cook, decent musican, and on hell of a bartender.

Cheers

#2 ·
looking for work!

Hi, I'm Jess from Florida. I'm a bit new to the sailing world, however i've always been VERY interested in it, and especially in owning my own boat eventually. Sounds silly, but I grew up living in preserved state parks, surfing, scuba diving, fishing, etc, so i've always made the ocean a huge part of my life, and to me, the ultimate thing for someone as free spirited as myself is to travel and live via sailboat! I'm currently living out of a suitcase, so i'm leaving no real ties behind, except for a vehical and lots of surfboards in storage.
I'm currently looking for work in the Cocoa Beach or St. Augustine area with or around boats, just to learn as much as possible, and I'm also looking to sail with anyone who needs a hand keeping the boat clean and tidy. As long as i'm not paying anything and i'm making a little bit of money and learning, i'm happy. It can be long term or short term. the sky is the limit.
I'm also a surfer, a musician (singer songwriter guitarist) so the guitar comes along, and i have a beautiful siamese himalayan cat less than a year old who actually isin't too bothered by the water. She's been going to the beach since she was born.
I'm up for traveling to other countries, and i do have a passport ready to go. Anything I can find to help me learn as much as possible (and of course help me pay for food, etc) is appreciated.
Jessica

#6 ·
ya ya... i can get along with just about anyone, really. I'm super laid back, easy going, totally adventurous, COMPLETELY spontaneous (that means i can leave today, if anyone wants to offer), and i've got a lot of red cross certifications in aquatics, even instructor certifications in a lot of things, and SCUBA. SO! I wouldn't be totally inexperienced, just not much experience on a sailboat. Boats, yes, sailboats, ... that's the most pure way to travel.

#8 ·
I can agree with that... In fact, i'd love to get it! I do have a LOT of aquatic certifications already, through red cross, and my SCUBA, but none directly pertaining to sailing. I can't afford that certification right now or i'd be all over it. Til then, i'm just seearching for whatever I can get and getting as much experience as possible. But I plan to get it in the future.

#13 ·
jlynn i just sailed through smyrna on monday it was blowing 35 kts and the break still didnt look that nice. must be why you dont care for it. i'm at hilton head now but gotta fly home for work. sigh.... guess the real world can only wait so long. p.s. try spending time partying at yacht crew houses ,often called hostels but on the coast they're crew houses,they are a great way to meet contacts for crew positions and even day work on boats

#14 ·
Panama anyone?

Hey willdadd,

I'm Amy, 26yo, hail from San Francisco and just quit my Seattle job in construction management to start a new chapter and escape the bureaucratic BS.

I'm a nomad by nature, and I hope to embark in Sep-Oct to Central/South America. Ultimately, I will begin in Costa Rica or Panama, and venture south on foot (or vessel) to Colombia and Ecuador, then to Brazil and Argentina and beyond

Long story short, I am a driven, adventurous, athletic, and eager individual looking for a skipper to take me on their route to Central America, and have fun while doing so. Anything involving music, travel or mangoes is high on my list.

Unfortunately, my sailing experience is limited to a few voyages on my friends cal 33, and a half-dozen sailing lessons on a laser, however I'm no dull tool, and can learn quickly.

Have I sparked any interest? Do you still need crew? Am I way too late? It's a long shot, but thought I'd try anyhow.

Thanks and cheers,

Amy

#15 ·
Welcome aboard. There are several crew finder services on the INTERNET that some people have had success with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.