SailNet Community - View Single Post - Creative ideas for loading 38''er on trailer w/out crane?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Creative ideas for loading 38''''er on trailer w/out crane?

If you can find one in your area, the hydraulic is the way to go. They use one at my marina when shuffling boats while the Travel Lift is busy.

My biggest concern would be the actual transport. The entire port side of the hull is devoid of bulkheads and stringers, any bouncing during transport may be enough to cave the hull in. Not being an engineer, I may be wrong, but that would be a BIG TIME worry for me. I would feel more comforatble if you tabbed in some temparary bulkheads and stringers before the vessel was moved. Nothing fancy, and you could cut them out later when you went to finish the interior later.

I would hope that you were able to take this project on for free, as you are about to face incredible costs trying to bring her back to shape. My "Project Boat" was in FAR better shape to begin with and I have spend over $20,000 on material and maybe over 300 man hours to date, and I''m still not done!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook