SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel Tank Blues. Gas dryer?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009
Catalina 22, Catalina 27

Adam1986 is on a distinguished road
Fuel Tank Blues. Gas dryer?

Hello!

Some may have noticed my thread about buying a Catalina 27 and asking for advice. Thanks to all who helped me with that!

I ended up buying her and am getting her ready to be launched. One problem I am having is that the tank appears to have some water in it somehow. The boat has an Atomic 4 which runs smooth as silk for a minute or two and then begins to sputter and stall. If I try to restart, it will restart and repeat but with no consistancy with the amount of time it will run before it stalls.

I have a fuel/water separator temporarily attached (it is a clear one) and I can see that there is water getting trapped in there so I know that there is some water in the tank. The tank is pretty much empty (it is now sucking air on the primer) so I am wondering if it would be a good idea to put a bottle of HEET in the tank and fill her up to try to get whatever water is left removed.

I am also suspicious about the float sticking as the running for a few moments and then stalling seems like a fuel starvation issue although I believe it was just risidual water in the fuel lines from before the water/fuel separator was installed. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to try running it long enough to sufficiently flush all of the lines in the loop. The previous owner also stated that she had this issue unless she was attached to an external tank where it would run perfectly fine without a hiccup.

My question is if anyone has used HEET before and if it is safely applicable to marine use or with the A4. Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by Adam1986; 05-10-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook