SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big freaking (Messy) Sail
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Another option for how to tie the reef line to the boom, is to put some loops on the boom at the side or bottom instead of having the line tie around the boom. That is what I did with my old bolt rope slugged main. I had the loops for my main sheet sheaves just below where I want the reef lines to be.

Another option for the tack. I personally do not like using the dog bone loppy hook thing a ma bobs that SD talks about. So I use a the cunningham hook on the upper cringles for the main. Works well! Then pull on the back reef lines. I too alternate the side the line is attached too as mentioned before. More by it made more sense than anything! Along with the reef line that was on the port, went thru the main port to starboard, and vice versa for the other side, with center line for out haul.

I also like the line where it attaches to the boom to be slightly back from te new clew. this allows as mentioned, a pull back along with down ward pull. I also snug up the topping lift a bit, other wise I almost NEVER see to be able to get the new clew to the boom.

I am positive some if not all of these suggestions will work, but which works best for you is the name of the game.

marty