SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gel Cracks @ Mast Foot
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Gel Cracks @ Mast Foot

Hi All,

I know there's a million and one postings about gel cracks out there, but I was hoping some of you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion on these photos. I'm in the midst of restoring a 1989 Catalina 22. I've stripped the deck clean of everything and cleaned off all the old sealant. Eventually, I'll be coating the deck with Interlux 404/414 and finishing it with perfection. However, before I do that, I wanted to address some of the gel cracks.

Obviously, the first priority is structural integrity, but I'm giving as much attention as I can to asthetics. The second picture is of the deck at the foot of the mast. There's some significant cracking. My plan is to grind out with a dremel and fill in with either a) interlux epoxy resin, b) interlux watertite filler, or c) a combination of the 2, resin first. Underneath this spot in the deck is the finished ceiling, so there's not all that much reinforcement that I can think to do.

The third photo is of where the lifeline stanchion fastens to the deck. Similar cracking, centered around the holes. Same game plan.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd sure appreciate an outside opinion. Thanks!

CS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low Res Deck Photo.jpg (69.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Mast Foot Crack.jpg (34.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Stanchion Crack.jpg (26.5 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook