SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine E120 Problems
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Is this with the latest firmware installed? The last update I did (think in Jan) resolved most of my issues with the display. While motoring there should never be drop in voltage if the alternator is running properly as that should be the primary source on the DC line. The units will run fine down to about 10V, but any 3 millisecond or more below - will basically recycle the units.

Pumps etc that when run that pull enough to flicker lights will do the same to the e-series. I have a water pump that when it starts, pulls enough juice to flicker the lights, reset the radio etc. The question is I guess is anything else running that requires a surge on the DC power side that can contribute to this scenario? NOte that I run a C-70, E-120 and full on Sirius, HD Depth, and other R$ymarine accessories.

Also note - when you install and have the ST displays wired independently, and all other items on separate circuits - you can expect the Any-Raymarine display to cycle. For instance, power up your E-120, then the Sirius Weather module cycles (or just turn it on or off) - it will cycle the E-120. It is not like USB and a true plug and play. When attached components cycle out due to wiring / defects, etc... it will always effect the displays and cause them to recycle. Why? Do not know but it is how it works.

The issue with motoring is maybe a complicated issue, as sailing and low battery will always cause that issue:

1. Alternator not at best performance. Personally, it either works or doesn't but do check the connections and verify output.
2. Vibrations of the motor is making a loose connection, lose the connection sporatically. I'd say 90% of installs with Raymarine components require splicing for boats over 30 feet.
3. Another system onboard is drawing more start-up and needs to be put on a relay.
4. Defective instruments. Anytime a Seatalk, NG, or NMEA device is detected to go offline - the software for the display senses and assumes a power failure. Again - its not a plug and play system in the pc sense.
5. Defective Display.

Just random thoughts.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook