SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going Aloft Solo ?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009

montenido is on a distinguished road
I have been up the mast 4-5 times in the last year, with another planned ascent in the works. I go solo, using mountain climbing gear similar tot he ATN Topclimber. I wear a climbing harness and have that connected to a Gibbs ascender. I also have two loops of slightly different lengths of webbing attached to a separate ascender, below the first one. I use this set up to climb my main halyard, while using a third ascender attached to me with nylon webbing on the headsail halyard. This is my safety line. I also have a sling that runs around the mast to hold me in and to stop a rapid fall from above the spreaders. Although I am alone when doing this, my wife knows to call and check on me once in a while. I also have my cell phone with me ready to call 911 if I can still dial after falling. Lastly, I leave all my tools on the deck in a cloth carryall attached to a line that is also attached to my harness. Once I get aloft, I bring up the tools and parts. Before decending I send them back down.
I'm not too sure of the cost of my equipment since I got the ascenders for free. Probably several hundred dollars.

Be safe up there, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook