SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Worn Cutlass Bearing Advice

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  erps 
#1 ·
I bought myself my first powered sailboat. I "jumped up" from a Hobie 16 - 30 years ago to diesel auxiliary in February. The survey and others who saw the boat out of the water (I bought based on previous survey after a sale failed) indicate the cutlass bearing is worn but nobody wants to speculate how soon I need to make the repair. I want to put off the repair at least until the boat is hauled for bottom work - a year or two. Are there any symptoms while under power, like vibration or noise to indicate a repair is immediately needed? Can I dive down and take a look and see/feel the obvious condition? I have one of those donut couplings in the shaft so I am thinking my transmission won't be affected. Don’t want to put this off until I need a prop shaft! Thanks for your advice.

#2 · (Edited)
Cutlass

Mine's going and it vibrates badly when you shift into forward or reverse. You can also feel a slight rumbling under power. Dive the boat and if it moves more than 1/8" either direction it needs to be changed. As for how far to let it go, you'll know it when you hear it. I thought the transmission fell out the bottom the first time it shook.
On the up side it does discourange using the engine so you build your sailing skills docking...

#3 ·
TSP - Is it safe to assume your boat you just bought is a Morgan 383? Congrats on the boat and if it is that, I have the little sister version, a Morgan 323 which I absolutely love and looks exactly like a 383 just a little smaller. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the cutlass bearing but wanted to welcome you aboard and say congrats on the boat.

#7 ·
Don't wait too long, I did and the bearing froze to the shaft and spun in the housing - that cost a bit more to fix.
I'll second that. I waited too long while experiencing the symptom of vibration. The motor vibrated to such an extent that it shook the alternator bad enough to break the mounting ear off the front cover on the motor. It almost ruined a vacation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.