SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Great Taboo: Motoring?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
When cruising I find I actually use the motor about 80% of the time but wouldn't use it at all if I didn't have to. The trouble is that I like most people only get to cruise on the weekends except for the 1 big trip for 1 or 2 weeks every year. So a lot of the time I constrained with time, weather, and current especially if I am headed east in LI Sound where the currents can really run and it is very important to time them favorably. We try to sail at every possible chance we get but its funny how often the wind is on your nose or is so light that the sails just flap uselessly. In fact last weekend on our sail back to our home port was the first time where the wind was blowing like heck from the stern as opposed to on the nose.

If I were retired (only 25 so have a long way to go ) I would prob sail a lot more because I could pick and choose my destinations and when I left based on the weather rather than knowing I only have an afternoon or day to get somewhere. Although using the motor sucks, those times when you do get to sail the whole way are that much more enjoyable!