SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering 18" vs 24" radar dome (mast) on 30' boat
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Considering 18" vs 24" radar dome (mast) on 30' boat

Hi Folks,

I have a Raymarine C80 (new last year). I have a choice of the analog 2KW 18" or the 4KW 24" domes, to connect to my display.

2 questions:

1. Is the larger (and more powerful) dome going to be that much better (ie less clutter, etc) than the smaller one, for local coastal cruising. More concerned with spotting other boats and rocks / land than with weather fronts. In Nova Scotia, and we do have our share of Fog!

2. Is the extra 16lbs of weight aloft (a little more than halfway up the mast) going to make a huge difference. small dome is 40 lbs, large is 56.
The boat is a 30' Seafarer, disp 8600lbs, balast 3450, large fin keel, draft 4'9".

Note. Although I may not need digital or HD radar, I was pi$$ed to find out it is not compatible with my new (less than 1 year old) display. You need the new wide screen models, which were not available last year, to connect to them! I though I was buying a state of the art item. I realize technologies change, but i did not receive any huge discount, as if I had purchased aging technology!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook