SailNet Community - View Single Post - Basic Rig Tune for Most Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009
Banned

dorothy is on a distinguished road
Red face

[QUOTE=shamrok;478365]I have purchased a 1974 22' O'day. The guy I bought it from sailed it last in Sept 08. He told me everything is ready to go. I have only sailed a handful of times. When I stepped the mast the shrouds were solid but the forestay and backstay seemed a little sloppy. The turnbuckles are taped so I can't see where they would have been adjusted since the last sail. My question is very general "is this safe?" I have no plans to race or try and get every last knot out of the boat right now, I just want to get out and would like some advice on wheather they should be tightened a bit or if it can be sailed with slightly loose forestay and backstay. I can balance myself with them it is not like I would fall over if I grabbed one on the way down. Will this be dangerous if the wind picks up or can it be sailed this way in light to mid winds?

Thanks
Shamrok[/QUOTE]

I once owned a 22' O'Day and feel I should mention that the connection from rudder to hull is ridiculously weak. The rudder, at least on mine, came from the manufacturer clamped to the hull with four tiny screws. No thru-bolts, backing plate or anything. They just drilled those little screws right into the fiberglass. Well, obviously it didn't last long. I barely made it through the first sail from Hyannis to Nantucket. And the rigging connections were no more solid than the rudder. On the plus side, the hull was bulletproof, so I went ahead and paid to have everything re-rigged and never had another problem. I paid $5000 for mine brand new and had to put another boat buck into making it durable enough to actually sail in open water. You get what you pay for, I guess. I bought the boat before I knew anything about boats because my family liked the cockpit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook