SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Red Flags Here?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Two weeks for prep reminds me on what they used to say about the reliability of a Land Rover: You can get anything fixed, anywhere in the world, in under a week. They even had standard field repairs for obtaining and preparing [read: hunting, skinning, and tanning] fresh game to make a field replacement for a blown head gasket from the fresh skin.

To which some folks said, yes, you can fix any Land Rover anywhere in the world in only a week. And if you're in downtown London or New York...it will still take a whole week to fix ANYTHING that has gone wrong with it.

I love the way [not!] so many vendors quickly misdiagnose a part that only they can supply, rush out a replacement by overnight shipping [usually to the wrong address or the wrong part] and then drag a simple three day replacement of the most mundane things into four weeks. Even without international shipping times. Heck, I had to wait six weeks for a muffler for my car once--and that was after the dealer escalated it to "parts critical" status instead of the 8-12 week normal order time.

Then they wonder why the global economy is in such a mess. Or why the boats with the least "stuff" on them can be the most fun to sail!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook