SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Red Flags Here?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 05-14-2009
hellosailor
Reward for lost Kraken!

Two weeks for prep reminds me on what they used to say about the reliability of a Land Rover: You can get anything fixed, anywhere in the world, in under a week. They even had standard field repairs for obtaining and preparing [read: hunting, skinning, and tanning] fresh game to make a field replacement for a blown head gasket from the fresh skin.

To which some folks said, yes, you can fix any Land Rover anywhere in the world in only a week. And if you're in downtown London or New York...it will still take a whole week to fix ANYTHING that has gone wrong with it.

I love the way [not!] so many vendors quickly misdiagnose a part that only they can supply, rush out a replacement by overnight shipping [usually to the wrong address or the wrong part] and then drag a simple three day replacement of the most mundane things into four weeks. Even without international shipping times. Heck, I had to wait six weeks for a muffler for my car once--and that was after the dealer escalated it to "parts critical" status instead of the 8-12 week normal order time.

Then they wonder why the global economy is in such a mess. Or why the boats with the least "stuff" on them can be the most fun to sail!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome