SailNet Community - View Single Post - spreader speakers
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
How to be most polite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondWindNC View Post
I second the votes to mount them in the cockpit. They're for you to listen to, not everybody within a half-mile of your boat.

Besides, outdoor-mounted speakers aren't known for longevity in the marine environment. Do you really want to have to go up the mast to rewire or replace them every time a wire gets corroded or a speaker craps out?
I believe I was in college, over 25 years ago, when a friend pointed out to me - speaking of a passing car with the windows down - that not everybody wants to listen to your tunes. He made good sense, when I saw it from his point of view, and he was an open minded rock&roll lover. It's simply arrogant and presumptuous. On the water, even more, people value quiet. At anchorage, if the music can be heard off of your boat, it may be far too loud already. On open water, the rules are less strict, but are you a sailor or a party guy with sails?

Below, fine. Rock it with the companionway closed. I like my Bob Marley at anchor. In the cockpit, keep it cool. On deck... no, I don't think that is appropriate. You'll just come off like one of those party head-boats coming back from night fishing. Uncool.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 05-15-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook