SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Entire Summer is OPEN. Take Me Sailing?!
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009

roadtripfool is on a distinguished road
The Entire Summer is OPEN. Take Me Sailing?!

Hello to my future friends.

The name's Andy, and I'm a 26-year-old male who currently spends most of his time in the air. I fly for an aerial mapping company based out of Daytona Beach, Florida, but my job has me all around the United States.

The sweet part is that I get four months off out of the year. I only work October through May, so I have the summer months to play around. Well, summer is nearly upon us, and sailing has been a desire of mine for nearly two years now. I spent some time over in the Canary Islands, actually trying to score a ride across the Atlantic on a yacht. As it turned out, however, the regatta was leaving and wouldn't have me back in time for a wedding I was supposed to be in (not mine!). Ever since then, I just haven't been able to shake the "sailing bug."

So that brings me to today. I have never even set foot on a sailing yacht, but I am toying with buying a sloop to live on for the next few months. After a bit of research, however, wisdom has told me to at least learn what I am doing first!

So long story short (I have to save some for on the boat!), I am looking for sailing experiences this summer...as many as I can find. My dream is to sail across the Atlantic, but I would be happy with day trips, overnight trips, or island hopping around the Caribbean or wherever we can find 'em!

As of now, it looks like I'll be returning my airplane to Daytona Beach in the next two weeks (mid-to-late May), and from there, I have no place to call home!!! I might as well make it the ocean, right?

An ideal situation would be a longer trip, a friendship made with someone who loves to sail, or knowing a group of people in a certain area who could bounce me around for a bit. I am easy to get along with, incredibly flexible, and just wanting to tackle another adventure/lifestyle. I'd even entertain living somewhere for a bit if we could arrange several trips...again, I'm lookin' for a place to literally "camp out" for several months.

I look forward to all the opportunities, and I would appreciate passing on my name to anyone you know that would like some help on any trips...or who would like to teach...or who would like to have some company...or who would like to share their life...or who...you get the point. Like I said, I'm up for just about anything...

Thanks!

Last edited by roadtripfool; 05-17-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook