SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Entire Summer is OPEN. Take Me Sailing?!
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009

roadtripfool is on a distinguished road
Maybe I misjudged the likes of the sailing company...I hope I didn't, but like I said, I'm new to this. Can't say I know anybody who does sail. I guess that's what I get for bein' landlocked by 900 miles while growing up.

Am I anybody special? Well, shoot, I was born, I'll breathe, I'll die, just like the rest of them. Could you have fun with someone else and not me? I would surely hope so. Am I "better" than anyone else? You'll never hear me say that.

But for me, the thought of me sharing my joy with someone else is what life is all about. I fly for a living, and my biggest joy is taking someone else up for the first time. Seeing their entire world open up and change just can't be put into words. Do I ask what they have to offer? Do I ask what type of company they'll provide? Do I sarcastically belittle them? I hope not. It's just worth it to know that they get such satisfaction out of a new experience.

If you don't want to sail with me, that's fine. I'm a big boy, I can take "no" as an answer. I've certainly had my fair share of those while growin' up! But let's not assume too much first about me. When I said I would like to "camp out" somewhere, I am talking about me getting a house in some city, working, and spending the time off on the water with people. I would just like to know where that location should be. If I'm required to pay for "onboard expenses" as they are called, well, then let's talk it out! I have been lookin' for some time now to know that some people require shared expenses...but at the same time, I have seen numerous ads of someone just wanting company...or of wanting to share their lifestyle.

So far, most have failed to ask me what I've done in terms of work. Frankly, not much. But when I was in the Canary Islands, while trying to get on that trans-Atlantic trip, I sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded. Then I ate cheap soup for lunch. And since I hadn't had enough yet, I sanded some more after that. I spent several nights at the Sailor's Bar, trying to find someone looking for crew. I worked three weeks on a ship even after learning that I would not be able to make the trip with anyone. I painted more deckwork than I care to admit! So when I read the "9 coats of varnish till skin" comment, yeah, I appreciate that. Can I compare with someone who has sanded for 19 years? Nope. Will I act like I can? Nope. I just need the proverbial "foot in the door." Shoot, I probably only have only "one coat" on my skin. But it's a start, right?

If you take offense at me asking to learn sailing, I am sorry to hear that. The website asked me to introduce myself, and so here I am. If I am viewed as a leech, well, I guess I can't change how other people think of me. But I would certainly appreciate people at least gettin' to know me a bit more before acting like I'm only out to suck the money and life out of others...maybe you have a lot of that on here, I don't know.

I hope this isn't too rude or harsh...it just looks like I'm goin' to have to thicken my skin for this site. I hope ya understand.

Last edited by roadtripfool; 05-18-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook