SailNet Community - View Single Post - High capacity alternators
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
High capacity alternators

Last year I bought a Balmar with the smart charger it was for my old Atomic 4. I installed it and after three hours of trying to figure out if it was working and programing it with the little magnetic screwdriver to activate the micro switches we set sail for a day run to Ft Mayers from St Pete. We pulled in and I always do a system check befour I shut down and guess what dead battery in fact all them were low but the cranking battery was dead. The Balmar had failed just after we hit the Gulf and we motored most of the way to Ft Mayers. The computer that powers the system had died. I checked the voltage from the ALT and nothing ?????? I checked every thing and nothing. I called tech support and I was told that if the brain dies the ALT would not put out any voltage 0. I took it back and got my money somewhere around $400 back put the old 35 Amp on and sailed on and it is still ticking. I could not begin to understand why someone would design a piece of equipment for thr cruiser that only worked with the box they sell if the ALT still put out at least you could get the batteries hot and even wire in an old regulator to get by on. Technology can be your enemy I am just getting into all this gizmo crap. I have been sailing since 1965 and never had any of this stuff but I like the gadgets but I want them to work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook